What Do You Need To Do After A Motorcycle Accident?
As the weather gets warmer, more and more people are riding their motorcycles. While few things compare to the thrill of taking a bike out of the open road, there are always the possibility of a negligent driver causing an accident. Given the difference in size between motorcycles and cars, every motorcyclist faces the possibility of serious injury in an accident.
If you have been injured in an accident, it is critical to understand that the steps you take now will impact your ability to recover full compensation for your medical expenses, lost earnings, pain and suffering and property damage. Here are some important steps to take after a motorcycle accident.
- Gather evidence: If you are able, take pictures of the crash scene. Get witness names. Get the police report. All of this information is evidence that could potentially assist you in your claim.
- Get medical attention: While obvious, this is still extremely important. Even if you are in a relatively minor accident, you still need to seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident. Until you have medical records showing how your accident caused your injury, the insurance company may attempt to claim that your injuries were caused by something else.
- Continue to get medical attention: Your medical records are an important key to success in a personal injury claim. If you stop going to the doctor in the weeks and months after your accident, crucial medical evidence will be missing. The insurance company will use this missing evidence against you. Continue going to doctor appointments and physical therapy until your doctor tells you it is no longer necessary.
- Don’t make statements to an insurance company: Insurance companies will go to great lengths to minimize claims. If you talk to them, especially without a lawyer, you could unwittingly make statements that will hurt your case.
- Hire a lawyer: After getting medical attention, you should contact a lawyer who understands the unique aspects of motorcycle accidents. With a skilled attorney on your side, you can be certain the insurance company will take you seriously.
For decades, injured people across Indianapolis and beyond have trusted attorney Steve Crell with their injury claims. A sponsor of the Indianapolis Motorcyclist Group, he has helped injured bikers recover the damages they are entitled to under the law. Call 317-669-9791 to set up a free consultation.